Friday, July 18, 2014

Summer Road Trip Day 4

Day 4.

Yes, I know I skipped Day 3, but that's because we spent most of the day driving from Charleston to D.C. That is going to be talked about in another post that I'm working on, so I don't need to really talk about it twice.

So, Day 4. This was our day in D.C. 

I just LOVE D.C.

My love for it might stem from the fact that my aunt (who when I was a kid idolized, and still love her to this day!) went to college here, at Galudet. We came to visit her and I just love the memories from that trip, so to me, this is a happy place...  I have been here countless times, and every time I fall in love with it over again. The people are nice, all the museums are free, there's always something going on, and the weather is always so wonderful - well, minus the one year we came up in January and it was so cold and windy that we had to walk backwards half the time! haha!

Anyway, after we found a parking garage, and then spent about an hour trying to find a parking spot IN the parking garage (which, by the way, we just gave up and handed our car over to the valet IN the parking garage), we headed straight for the museums!

Last time we were here, they had two of the museums closed for whatever reasons, so we wanted to do those first.

The first one was the Air and Space Museum. 

This was pretty cool - you could spend all day in here and not read everything or see everything. 

What I really liked was there were stations for kids to do. This one was an experiment to check out which materials flew better (ding, ding, ding! Science fair project!)

The girls also got to do rubbings of the different airplanes.

Then we headed to the Natural History Museum. I'm going to be honest. This one was really crowded, tons of people. I wasn't a fan of all those people. Yes, I don't like being in crowds anyway (confined crowds), but when you have two small kids that want to get out of the stroller and look at everything? That just makes me nervous with so many people....and I'm talking summer camps and teenagers groups. 

BUT, I did like the museum, I would definitely go back.

For lunch, we found a cute cafe type place in a little passer-through park, I think the park was called the "Sculpture Garden." The food there was healthy and delicious! I little pricey, but at least we all ate healthy.

After lunch, we wandered around the city to get to the next monument, and took a break at the capitol building.

This is from Ron's camera, and I think his battery was dying, which is why the capitol building  is so white. But I just love this picture of us..and B's smile is just too much!

Here, here's a better picture that we begged a single tourist lady into taking for us.

We finally made our way up to the Lincoln Memorial. At this point, Brooklynn fell asleep, so she's not really in any pictures, and were stuck not going all the way to the top of the Lincoln Memorial as a family, but oh well.  We still had fun there.

Autumn loved running up and down the stairs (she was doing her "stadiums")

And then she would cheese for me when she got to the top again. Little goofer!

She really wanted to run up the stairs to the top, so away we went!

We made it!

We took the back trail back towards the mall area, and we came across a little pond with ducks. Autumn was looking around for little crumbs of bread so she could feed the ducks...she thought they were hungry and needed some food. 

Such the good Samaritan, right?

We got back to the monument and Autumn and I had some fun helping the monument stand back up, because it was totally falling over!

On the way to the White House, we took a little break in a park. It was just so pretty, and the grass is SO different than down in FL. It's soft, it's cool, it doesn't make you itch. I could sit in it all day!

AND we arrived.

After that, we headed for dinner... we wanted to go back to the place we ate last time we were here, Capitol City Brewery. They have the best food! Every thing we have ever gotten there is so good. Even the kids' food! Ron really likes the dipping sauce for the pretzels they give you as their bread. And last time we were here, I was able to get the sample "platter" of beers they brew. I definitely recommend them.

Then it was about to head out. We had a good 3-4 hour drive ahead of us to get to the next city. And with D.C. traffic?? Woa! We are not big city live there, anyway. We love to visit!

We have also discovered that the tolls up here in all the New England area roads are cuh-ray-zee!! Seriously, when we were in Maryland, we paid about $16 just for three tolls! Let's not even go into what we've spent in tolls on Day 5. Lesson time, buy an EZ pass just for the up-north trips!

Well, that was D.C.   It was a whirl wind of fun, like the other days have been...and we still have so many more! Although tomorrow (which is day 6), we'll be spending the day with Ron's family, so it won't be TOO whirl-wind-ish...maybe...probably.

And just to end with one of my random thoughts I had while sitting in the D.C. traffic. Have you ever been in traffic in a big city and you look over to the car next to you and think "Who are you? Where are you going? Where did you come from?"  I think about that kind of stuff all the time! Am I sitting next to some big-shot government guy who is on his way to the White House to talk with the president? haha!

Another random thought... I feel the need to go home and watch Murder at 1600. or The American President. or National Treasure. or Enemy of the State! Ron says I say this every time we go there. I don't know. 

Shoulder shrug.

Maybe he's right. Who cares. I still want to watch them now.


No comments:

Post a Comment