Wednesday, July 27, 2022

July 2022 Book Review

Oh. My. Goodness. Guys.

I read TEN books this month!! 

Thank you road trips. Remember, I do a mix of audiobooks and actual reading. (Make sure you speed up the audio so it's not so slow and painful to listen to lol), so I "read" books when I take the dog for a walk, when I'm doing my makeup and hair in the mornings, and when I'm on long car rides alone. I'll read my Kindle when Ron's in the car with me for road trips. 

Don't expect this next month - ha! With back to school and how tired the first weeks of school are, I'm sure I'll barely make it to 3 or 4 books in August.

I read some really good ones this month!! There were 1 or 2 that I didn't really like all too much, but for the most part, this month was a win!

Let's take a look.








Ok. This one, I started a LONG time ago, but only got halfway through it. And then I just picked it back up. It took me a while to get into this one, but I'm glad I stuck with it, because I ended up liking it. It's another historical fiction book, based on actual events from the 1930s when some brave women started a mobile library to help education the local country people. There were some personal drama with the main character, which I'm sure actually happened a lot back then. 




Marissa and Matthew appear to be The Golden Couple—until Marissa cheats. In an attempt to heal her marriage, Marissa seeks out the help of a therapist who claims she can fix you in just 10 sessions, or she won’t take you on. As the three begin to work together and secrets are revealed, it becomes clear that it’s not only a marriage that’s in danger.

I was drawn into this story right from the start and I didn’t want to put it down. There are so many layers to this book and plenty of twists and turns! I honestly didn't see the end coming, and had to go back and read a little to see if I missed anything that would have given me clues to the end. I really liked this book!




ok - normally, I'm a big fan of WWII historical fiction books. But for some reason, I just couldn't get into this one. According to my Goodreads feed, I'm in the minority, since a lot of people gave this one a 5 star review. I gave it a 3, but don't just go by me review! I think it was the way it was written and how it toggled back and forth between two different times, but with characters I couldn't really connect with. I felt like I was waiting for something important to happen...and waiting and waiting, but nothing really happened. But again, give it a try for yourself!




Ok. This one I really liked. A young girl who lived in DC and worked for a big to-do Firm owner suddenly found herself in the midst of a scandal and fired from her job. Without anywhere to go or a job, she ended up at her father's house he inherited down in Georgia and "hires" her to fix it up to sell. As the house begins to take shape, so does Dempsey - she starts to find herself and make a "home" for herself down there. It was such a cute book! I do love Mary Kay Andrews this summer, it seems. 




This one I really liked - another WWII historical fiction. This seems to be one of my favorite topics. It's about an old lady who steals a baby from a German and lives in the woods. 20 years later, the old lady dies, but she has taught the girl how to survive and live off the land and has educated her with stolen books. She comes across a group of Jewish runaways that are trying to hide from the Germans. She ends up helping a bigger group and ends up at the German town and learns about her past. I really loved how this book ended. 





Oh Mary Kay Andrews. You are all over my summer reading list! I will say it wasn't my favorite book of hers, but I still thought it was a cute book. I just felt like the two different plots almost didn't go together. It was a mix of vacation (right here in Florida!), love, domestic thriller plot, and just fun characters. A cute beach read, for sure!



Gosh I really liked this one -  Alice falls and hits her head and forgets EVERYTHING from the last 10 years of her life. Well THIS Alice is totally different from THAT Alice and the monologues she has with herself on the situations just made me giggle. lol. I think this was one that I read in two days and could have totally read it in one, if  I had the time. I really liked how it ended too. 

8.  Heart Bone 
Oh, CoHo. It's been a while since I have read one of her books, and this one did not disappoint. (If you have only read Verity from her, that is NOT the norm for her stories). This one had me hooked from the beginning and tears at the end.

It's free if you have kindle unlimited, too!

https://amzn.to/3c8S9ii





Such an interesting concept. This story is told from 2 different storylines. It starts off with the same story, but then 1 decision Hannah makes turns into 2 different stories. I know we've all asked the question, "what if I had done (blank)? How would have my life turned out?"

Good read!
And right now the kindle version is only 1.99!

https://amzn.to/3REAakd


And last but not least... The Younger Wife. 
THIS one... I really had NO idea how this was going to end. It's about an older, wealthy doctor whose wife is in a nursing home suffering from dementia, and he's about to marry another woman who is the age of his two daughters. You hear the story from the point of view from the new woman, and the two daughters, and all of their own storylines. It was such a good book! 


Ok, that's a wrap on my July books!! Have you read any of them? What'd you think? Do you have any good book recommendations??



No comments:

Post a Comment